About Green Wood Spoons

Spoon carving brings a new life to wood that may have just been chipped or burned and yields a strong connection to traditional woodcraft and nature. Each spoon is carved to please both the hand and the eye from local timber removed by arborists or damaged by storms. The result is a tool-finished spoon that serves both form and function that can be used every day to enrich our lives.

An eating spoon "roughed out." The first ~90% of the spoon is carved when the wood is wet and the remaining ~10% is carved off to a finished surface once the spoon has dried.

An eating spoon "roughed out." The first ~90% of the spoon is carved when the wood is wet and the remaining ~10% is carved off to a finished surface once the spoon has dried.

The finishing details being added to a cooking spoon. With the right technique even the waste can be beautiful.

The finishing details being added to a cooking spoon. With the right technique even the waste can be beautiful.

Tea Spoons ready to emerge from cherry wood.

Tea Spoons ready to emerge from cherry wood.

Four spoons drawn out on billets of black birch. 

Four spoons drawn out on billets of black birch. 

Hand carved in Stoughton Wisconsin by Derek Brabender

At any given time you can find some carving knives and a few spoon blanks in Derek's bag. Although spoon carving is Derek’s primary focus, he enjoys making all sorts of items for practical and everyday use. His goal is to keep learning and to share what knowledge he has with others. This way, they too can enjoy the rewarding and revolutionary act of making useful objects that serve as a connection to nature and traditional skills.

Derek's first spoon was a gift for his longtime girlfriend, Chelsea. Spoons have a rich history of being gifted by suiters to their intended, however at the time Derek was oblivious to this history and made her a cooking spoon purely because it was a heartfelt gift for someone who loves to cook. His lack of power tools led him to a more financially accessible route; hand carving. What started as a necessity to use hand tools soon turned into a passion for the axe and the knife. 

Shipping & Handling

Flat rate of $6 per order anywhere within the United states. For items shipped outside the US e-mail greenwoodspoons@gmail.com for an estimate.

Items will be processed and shipped within two business days.

 

Return Policy

If you are unhappy with your order for any reason, please contact greenwoodspoons@gmail.com with a description of the issue and we'll figure something out.